A Memo from Section Chair Evan Mayor:
I’m excited to welcome you to the Los Angeles County Bar’s Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property (“ELIPS”) Section for the 2019-20 year.
With an ELIPS membership, you’ll receive invitations to networking events throughout the year that will provide you with an opportunity to meet a broad network of in-house counsel at entertainment companies big and small, IP and entertainment law practitioners at big, medium, and small firms, and solo practitioners. You’ll also receive discounts for seminars and events on emerging issues in intellectual property and entertainment law.
Fall Schedule of Events
Below is a lineup of ELIPS’ CLE and networking events for this fall. We’ll circulate more details as dates get closer, but feel free to sign up for any of these events now by clicking the links below.
- CLE (Elimination of Bias) - September 19, 7 p.m. at LACBA’s offices – “Me Too and the Guilds” – guild lawyers discuss the Me Too movement in Hollywood and how the guilds are addressing it, including in their agreements.
Sign up here: https://customers.lacba.org/EventDetail?EventKey=091919ELI
- Networking - September 25, 6:30 p.m. at Bar Verde in the Nordstrom at Westfield Century City Mall – “Mix, Mingle, and Schmooze” – Join us for an evening of networking with your peers and colleagues.Bring your cards!
Sign up here: https://customers.lacba.org/Interactive/Event_Display.aspx?EventKey=092519ELI
- Co-sponsored CLE – Thursday, October 3, 8:30 a.m. at Loyola Marymount University School of Film & Television, Playa Vista Campus – “TechTainment 5.0” – Conference exploring intersection of technology and entertainment through the lens of the law (co-sponsored by ELIPS).Reduced pricing for ELIPS members. 4.5 MCLEs includes breakfast, lunch and reception.
For more info, visit: http://www.laipla.net/techtainment
- CLE - October 17, 7 p.m. at LACBA – “You Can Trademark a Smell or Sound?D’oh!” – Top IP litigator Warren Bleeker of Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie will discuss non-traditional trademarks and other trademark issues in the entertainment industry.
Sign up here: https://customers.lacba.org/EventDetail?EventKey=101719ELI
- Networking – October 23, 6:30 p.m. at Bar Verde in the Nordstrom at Westfield Century City Mall – “Mix, Mingle, and Schmooze” – Join us for an evening of networking with your peers and colleagues.Bring your cards!
Sign up here: https://customers.lacba.org/Interactive/Event_Display.aspx?EventKey=102319ELI
- CLE - November 15, 12:30 p.m. at Lawry’s – “Internet Law Year in Review” –Top litigator Ian Ballon of Greenberg Traurig, author of a leading Internet Law treatise, will discuss recent developments in E-Commerce and Internet Law.
Sign up here: https://customers.lacba.org/EventDetail?EventKey=111519ELI
- Networking – November 19, 6:30 p.m. at Bar Verde in the Nordstrom at Westfield Century City Mall – “Mix, Mingle, and Schmooze” – Join us for an evening of networking with your peers and colleagues.Bring your cards!
Sign up here: https://customers.lacba.org/Interactive/Event_Display.aspx?EventKey=111919ELI
- CLE - December 4, 12:30 p.m. at Lawry’s – “You Stole My Screenplay!” – Top entertainment litigators David Singer and AJ Thomas of Jenner & Block will discuss takeaways from recent caselaw on how best to mitigate risk of copyright infringement and idea theft claims.
Sign up here: https://customers.lacba.org/EventDetail?EventKey=120419ELI
This is your section, and we’d like to hear from you about how to make it better.
- Do you have a networking or CLE event idea?
- Would you like to participate in our volunteer monthly Executive Committee meetings, where we plan events and do other work for the section?
- Would you like to speak at one of our career panels at area law schools?
- Have you written an article on entertainment/IP issues that you’d like to be considered for publication in our journal?
Please reach out to me about getting more involved at Evan.Mayor@gmail.com.
Get Others to Join ELIPS
As a member of ELIPS, you can bring a guest for FREE to any regular, one-hour CLE program. If your guest signs up for a LACBA membership at the event, they will receive a free section membership ($50 value) their first year. Call LACBA member services at (213) 896-6560 to sign your guest up.
Also please feel free to forward this email to anyone you think would like to join our section and to attend one of our events this fall. More information on joining LACBA and ELIPS can be found here:https://www.lacba.org/sections/sections/join-this-section.
LACBA Diversity and Inclusion Conference
Confirmed speakers at LACBA’s diversity and inclusion conference on Friday, September 27, 2019 include top executives at multiple studios and partners at entertainment law firms. This all day conference will cover topics such as the business case for diversity, retention and promotion of diverse lawyers in law firms, the diversity pipeline, compensation and diversity, and diversity on the bench. As a LACBA member, you can attend the all-day conference for $25.
Register at http://www.lacba.org/diversityconference.
As the chair of ELIPS this year, I’m excited to meet each and every one of you at one of our networking or CLE events. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or comments.
The Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section focuses on a wide variety of entertainment and intellectual property law issues including copyright, patent, trademark, new media, licensing, unfair competition, libel, privacy, and right of publicity issues. The section consists of and welcomes all types of intellectual property and entertainment lawyers in these and other fields, including transactional and litigation lawyers, in-house counsel, and lawyers in private practice.
With an ELIPS membership, you will receive invitations to and discounts for seminars and events relating to issues of interest to our members, which cater to all skill levels—from the nuts and bolts of intellectual property law to emerging issues in the fashion industry. Attending ELIPS events helps you keep current on the latest issues and further provides the opportunity to meet a broad network of IP and entertainment law practitioners and in-house counsel. If you are not already a member, we encourage you to join this valuable section.
- Copyright, Trademark, and Right of Publicity
- Internet Law
- Media Law
- Sports Law
- SubSCREEN is a subsection of ELIPS that usually hosts small and informal events in a variety of venues for attorneys and other players in the film, television, and new media industries. Formed in 1998, SubSCREEN has afforded participants practical education and networking opportunities. "SCREEN" refers to any screen that can display content.