LACBA Counsel for Justice Honors its Pro Bono Volunteers with the Hon. Benjamin Aranda III Public Service Awards
What better way to voice our support for pro bono legal services than to honor the volunteers who make it happen. LACBA Counsel for Justice provides the means for hundreds of LACBA members to use their legal skills (and bring their compassion) to help people in Los Angeles County who cannot afford legal services and would not have access to lawyers without the Counsel for Justice. Over 660 volunteers did so in 2017, and LACBA Counsel for Justice recognized five of them at last month’s Installation & Awards Reception:
- James Santiago of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher for his work at the Veterans Legal Services Project
- David Stanley of Reed Smith for his efforts through the AIDS Legal Services Project
- Lynne Affleck for her dedication to the Immigration Legal Assistance Project
- Derek Wallen of Capobianco Law Offices for his longtime commitment to the Domestic Violence Legal Services Project
- Wes W. Kennedy of Litigation Consultant Partners and National Account Manager at First Legal Corporation for his enthusiastic service on the Counsel for Justice
We are grateful to these attorneys for their pro bono service. They honor the legacy of Hon. Benjamin Aranda III, who made tireless efforts to promote fairness, access to the courts, and diversity in the legal profession.
What can the rest of us do to help?
(1) VOLUNTEER for LACBA Counsel for Justice projects
(2) SPREAD THE WORD about the work we are doing for the community
(3) DONATE much needed funding to support the critical work of LACBA Counsel for Justice projects