Down by Law Rocks the Whisky A Go Go for a more Just LA
On March 24-25, 2017, the Sixth Annual Law Rocks Los Angeles battle of the bands concert fundraiser was held at the world famous Whisky A Go Go on the Sunset strip. The concert was a success with over $155,000 raised by the various bands formed by lawyers at various law firms in addition to an opening act from Little Kids Rock. The event was emceed by Ted Stryker (KROQ DJ) who had the audience on their feet ready for a great event.
This year, the line-up consisted of 12 amazing bands, all of which gave a phenomenal performance on behalf of the non-profit organizations they selected to sponsor. Among them was Down by Law (featuring talented legal professionals from Reed Smith, Constangy; Brooks, Smith & Prophete; Russ, August and Kabat), which gave an electric performance rocking the house for LACBA’s Counsel for Justice and raising over $8,000.
LACBA Counsel for Justice (CFJ) brings together law firms, foundations, corporations, donors, and volunteers in support of a more just LA. In particular, CFJ works to provide access to legal services for all through its four legal services projects, including:
- Domestic Violence Legal Services Project: Assisting victims in completing the application for a temporary restraining order (TRO). Clinic is located in the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, downtown.
- Veterans Legal Services Project: Providing free legal assistance in assisting Veterans to remove legal barriers to employment. Located at Patriotic Hall, downtown LA.
- Immigration Legal Assistance Project: Keeping families together, and providing accurate information about immigration rights. Located in the Federal Building, LA.
- AIDS Legal Services Project: Obtain representation for clients with HIV and AIDS fighting discrimination, breach of privacy, asylum and many other issues.
Thanks to all who came out to support Down by Law and CFJ. In addition to CFJ, other band selected non-profit organizations included: Best Friends Los Angeles, Bet Tzedek, City of Hope, the Guardians, Mental Health Advocacy Services, Immigrant Justice Clinic, Good Sheperd Center, Women Lawyers of Los Angeles, Walk with Sally, Together We Bake, and Ketchum Downtown YMCA.
After some excellent and competitive performances, the night came to a close with the Judges’ Choice Award going to:
1) MSK/Y2K of Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP who rocked the Whisky on March 24 for Mental Health Advocacy Services and
2) Attractive Nuisance of Allen Matkins and Buchalter who performed on March 25 for Ketchum Downtown YMCA.
LACBA Counsel for Justice President-Elect, Mark Garscia, excites the crowd with introductions to the LACBA Legal Services Projects and band Down By Law.
Laura Gardner enchants the audience with her amazing voice.
Steve Katz evangelizes the crowd with his bass skills.
(Left to Right) The amazing Down By Law: James Pickens, August Kabat, Andre Tusques, Harrison Dossick, Laura Gardner, Steve Katz, and Doug Rawles.
Greg Holmes shows off his impressive vocal chops.