The Immigration Legal Assistance Project provides, for a nominal fee, legal assistance and counseling to all categories of low-income persons. The project also provides immigration "services" for the private immigration bar. The project uses its limited resources to:
- Provide immigration legal advice for U.S. Citizens, immigrants, and aliens.
- Prepare immigration and naturalization forms.
- Translate, certify, notarize, and copy documents.
- Tie in lawyer referral service and all appropriate social service agencies.
- Train law students, attorneys, and volunteers in all aspects of immigration law and procedures.
Applying for Deferred Action Status and other immigration benefits
Starting Date: January 1, 2016
The Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Immigration Legal Assistance Project provides legal assistance and counseling to immigrants seeking legal residency and citizenship in the United States. The Immigration Project has received a grant from the State of California to provide “free legal assistance” for Dreamers who are renewing or applying for DACA, as well as DACA applicants who need advance parole, family petitions or adjustment of status. LACBA’s experienced staff immigration attorneys are available to explain the procedures for filing or renewing a Deferred Action Status, including:
- Who is eligible for DACA
- The impact it could have on immigrants facing deportation hearings
- How to avoid falling prey to “notarios,” who are not legal experts nor attorneys
- The type of documents that will be needed to apply or renew DACA
- Who is eligible for travel permits, family petitions or adjustment of status
LACBA’s Immigration Legal Assistance Project is located in the USCIS (Immigration Service) Federal Building in downtown Los Angeles and provides low-cost immigration legal services. Consultations are just $20, and no appointments are necessary to meet with our experienced immigration attorney staff, paralegals and volunteer attorneys.
Immigration Legal Assistance Project (same building as USCIS)
300 North Los Angeles Street, Room 3107 (3rd floor) (elevators to the right)
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Monday – Friday: 8:00 am to Noon and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
IMMIGRATION LEGAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT
P.O. Box 531968, Los Angeles CA 90053 (213) 485-1872 clients
FAX (213) 485-0047, (213) 485-1873 volunteer attorneys
Project Director, Silvia Martinez Send an Email
Assistant Project Director, Jane McCaffrey Send an Email