Information and Help
The AIDS Legal Services Project (“ALSP”) is a pro bono legal referral program. With a small intake staff, all legal services are provided by matching the client’s needs with volunteer attorneys.
We welcome inquiries from any person living with HIV, but the ALSP is currently targeting the legal needs of under resourced women and families who face persistent health disparities.
As a small organization, we are not a good fit if you are facing an urgent legal question or an emergency. Please contact a local legal aid organization or lawyer referral service for assistance.
ALSP primary focus areas are:
Currently we are focusing resources on Advance Planning and Debtor/Creditor issues. However we may also be able to assist you with additional areas listed below
- Advance Planning -
Wills, Powers of Attorney and Healthcare Directives
- Debtor/Creditor Issues -
Including Credit card debt, medical debt, loan defaults and student loans
- HIV Discrimination –
Employment, Housing and Public Accommodations (including private businesses and medical facilities).
- Privacy & Confidentiality –
When your HIV status has been wrongly disclosed
Intake of new immigration matters is through the LACBA Immigration Legal Assistance Project. Please see below for intake information:
Los Angeles Federal Building (same building as US Citizenship & Immigration Services. Be aware, there is a metal detector at the front of the building. Undocumented immigrants have had no issues accessing services at the project )
Walk-in-hours: No Appointment is Necessary
Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM to 12 Noon and 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
300 N. Los Angeles Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(downtown Los Angeles)
(213) 485-1873 or (213) 485-1872
If you are living with HIV and are facing a legal issue, please download and complete an online screening form. You can also call the ALSP intake line at (213) 833-6776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
For additional resources and referrals, please visit the Los Angeles HIV Law & Policy (LA HLPP) website http://www.thelahlpp.org/ .
Please know we take your privacy and the security of your information very seriously. Our hosting provider employs enterprise grade security. This means industry standard encryption is used to protect your data.
The information you provide will go directly to the Inbox of the AIDS
Legal Services Project which is only accessible to the ALSP Project Director.
By submitting an online intake form application, you acknowledge that you understand the following:
- Please note that we do not provide legal representation on the following types of cases: Criminal, personal injury, medical malpractice, applications or appeals for public benefits, conservatorships
- Completing this request for assistance form will provide us with some background information regarding your matter. After you have completed this form, it will be reviewed by the ALSP. We will use our best efforts to respond to your request for assistance within one week of receiving the completed form. We do not guarantee that we will be able to assist you.
- A submission of request for assistance form by email, phone or web does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through the acceptance of the terms of and scope of representation outlined in a formal, written retainer with a volunteer attorney of the ALSP.
- You are not a client of the ALSP.
- Any information that you provide is kept confidential.
Click here for SIMPLE INTAKE FORM (fillable)