The Los Angeles County Bar Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive salaries and an excellent benefit package. The Human Resources Department will list on this page vacancies in all departments of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Unless otherwise indicated, resumes may be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
—No Telephone Inquiries Please—
Equal Opportunity Employer
Veterans Pro Bono Project Staff Attorney
REPORTS TO: General Counsel and Pro Bono Coordinator/Los Angeles County Bar Association
ISSUED/DATE REVISED: November 22, 2013
This position will be part-time, 20 hours per week, for the first six months. It will then become a full-time regular position. Salary for the first six months up to $40,000; full-time salary $60,000-$70,000, depending upon experience.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced attorney to help launch an innovative pro bono project to serve low-income veterans and service members at the newly renovated Bob Hope Patriotic Hall in downtown Los Angeles.
The Project’s goals are to educate, advocate for, and represent veterans and service members on some of the highest need legal areas to prevent homelessness by leveraging the pro bono resources of LACBA and its members to help veterans and service members clear legal obstacles to full employment and self-sufficiency.
The Staff Attorney will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of LACBA’s Veteran Pro Bono Project at Patriotic Hall with strong organizational, writing, oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
The position, under the direction of LACBA’s General Counsel and Pro Bono Coordinator, will work to recruit and train pro bono attorneys for the targeted legal service areas, as well as collaborate with other legal service providers in the community to help coordinate services for other unmet veteran and service member needs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Position responsibilities include knowledge of poverty law issues with an emphasis on legal challenges affecting veterans; direct client counseling and interviewing; supervision of pro bono attorneys and volunteer law students; budget drafting; resource development including organizing and conducting legal trainings and assisting with fund development. The Staff Attorney will also be expected to provide leadership and knowledge of legal issues that most affect veterans and innovate practices to improve productivity, promote project volunteerism, improve business and legal practices, and to work closely with LACBA members, sections, and committees whose expertise relates to the needs of the veteran community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with staff of US Vets at Patriotic Hall to help outreach and identify veterans with legal service needs;
- Create written policies and procedures to implement pro bono program that addresses targeted legal areas;
- Create substantive training materials to recruit and train pro bono attorneys for the targeted legal areas;
- Create substantive self-help workshop and collateral materials to assist veterans in understanding the legal issue and the steps necessary to resolve;
- Conduct client interviews for screening individual needs;
- Assign pro bono cases, maintain relationships with both clients and volunteers, track outcomes and prepare statistical and other reports;
- As instructed by the LACBA General Counsel or Pro Bono Coordinator, supervise and coordinate activities of attorneys and volunteer law students at workshop/clinics; and
- Collaborate with social service agencies that serve veterans as well as legal service programs, particularly those whose practice and expertise fall outside of the Project's targeted areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
JD degree from an ABA accredited school.
At least five years of experience as a practicing attorney, preferably in a non-profit setting, and a member in good standing of the State Bar of California.
Demonstrated commitment to public interest work with experience providing outreach, legal education and advocacy to low-income communities, and/or veterans;
Law: Knowledge of citation defense including traffic court procedures and how to clear warrants; expunge criminal records; appeal government benefit claims, particularly VA benefits, including agency rules and regulations; and military discharge categorizations and upgrades.
Administration & Management: Knowledge of principles and processes involved in business and nonprofit organizational planning, pro bono coordination and execution including strategic planning, resource allocation, community collaboration and legal service delivery models.
CLE Training: Knowledge of instructional methods and training techniques for pro bono recruitment of attorneys to serve low-income populations including curriculum design principles, learning theory, group and individual teaching techniques.
ADDITIONAL HELPFUL EXPERIENCE
Member in good standing of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims;
Accredited by the Office of General Counsel for the Department of Veterans Affairs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send letter and resume to email@example.com.
PROGRAM AND EVENT ADMINISTRATOR
General Job Summary:
Under the direction of the Director of Events, Multimedia, & CLE (Continuing Legal Education), this position serves as the liaison for multiple internal client groups within the Los Angeles County Bar Association, with primary responsibility for the budgeting, planning, logistics and management of a high volume of programs and events for those client groups. Salary: $40,000, plus overtime.
This position has three general areas of responsibility:
- Acts as primary staff liaison to multiple internal client groups (such as Sections, Committees, other volunteer groups, or other LACBA Projects), including planning and oversight of most group events and other activities.
- Acts as project manager for one or more of the general association’s large-scale annual programs and events, including budget responsibility.
- Acts as an integrated team member in the Events, Multimedia, and CLE Department, with consistent and successful participation in meeting departmental goals and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages all creative and operational aspects of event development and production, including goals, objectives, and outcomes
- Create, manage and be accountable for event budgets and exhibit sound fiscal judgment.
- Monitors other (non-event related) expenditures and financial operations for the assigned groups or projects to ensure compliance with the Los Angeles County Bar Association policies and guidelines.
- Prepares production schedules and timetables for programs and events.
- Works cooperatively with volunteers and other LACBA staff to plan, organize and support programs and events, including on-site support, as needed.
- Develops, produces and implements event marketing strategies and marketing collateral -- i.e., brochures, e-bursts, ads, etc.
Under supervision of department supervisor and department manager, negotiates with outside vendors for hotel services, catering services, and audio-visual services
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- BA or BS degree is strongly preferred. Equivalent experience in event planning and/or project management may be considered.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience in Event Production or Event Marketing.
- Strong interpersonal, and communication skills, both oral and written, are essential.
- Consistently diplomatic, professional, and solution-focused
- Service oriented, with strong organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail
- Candidate must be computer literate, able to successfully handle multiple priorities, and have experience managing project budgets.
- Demonstrated skills in organization, analysis and problem solving.
- Must be able to work some weekends, evenings, and holidays
- Administrators must have the ability to travel to off-site locations for program staffing -- i.e., car.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.