Expert 4 Law

Selected Benefits
Superior Court Civil Register
Member Benefits
Calendar of Events
Know Your Judge
Judge Your Judge

Find Us On:


LACBA's blog.

LACBA on Twitter.
LACBA on twitter.

LACBA on Facebook.
LACBA on Facebook.

LACBA on LinkedIn.
LACBA on LinkedIn.

LACBA



Volume V, Number 2 • February 2012 • Archives of Past Issues
An E-Publication of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
Written by Linda B. Bulmash

This Month's Topic:

Gain/Loss Framing

You can influence your counterparts' choice by wisely framing an offer!

Example A: Choose either option 1 or 2:
Option 1: You receive $1000
Option 2: There is a 20% chance you will receive $5000 and an 80% chance you will receive nothing.

Example B: Choose either option 1 or 2:
Option 1: You lose $1000
Option 2: There is a 20% chance you will lose $5000 and an 80% chance you will lose nothing.

When faced with certain gain or the possibility of a greater gain/no gain, people will be risk adverse and choose the certain gain (see example A above). On the other hand, when faced with certain loss or the possibility of greater loss/no loss, people tend to be risk-takers (see example B above).

So how can you use this knowledge to your benefit? Frame your offer as a gain so as to Induce your counterpart to see your offer as getting a benefit rather than avoiding a risk or loss.

LACBA member Linda B. Bulmash, Esq.,
writes the Negotiation Tips.
You can contact her at:

lbulmash@adrservices.org
www.bulmashmediation.com
Do you have a question about negotiation?
Do you have ideas for upcoming One Minute Negotiation Tips?
Would you like to submit a negotiation tip of your own?
We want to hear from you!
Send us an email.

Back to Top

Readers are advised that changes in the law may affect the accuracy of this publication or the functionality of links after the publication date.