LACBA Tech Products for Litigators: More Work in Less Time
Looking to sharpen your competitive edge? LACBA designs online products that enable litigators to move their casework forward and help provide effective representation to their clients.
Staying on top of current case law.
• LACBA’s Daily EBriefs offer summaries of published appellate court decisions with convenient links to the full opinion.
• Los Angeles Lawyer magazine provides attorneys with online search capabilities to find specific topics from an enormous archive of substantive law articles covering in-depth legal analysis and procedures.
Court tracking tools.
Elerts offer four ways an attorney can configure e-mail notifications: by a client’s name, case number, new case filing, or by case type. Whenever a filing is made at the courthouse, Elerts notify the attorney that a new lawsuit has been filed against a client, or a motion has been filed on a particular case number or type. Attorneys can learn about these court motions a day or two before their clients do, enabling the attorneys to work proactively on behalf of their clients. Or attorneys can track the filing activity of their opposing counsel, client, or prospective client for all Los Angeles Superior Court cases. Elert options include:
• Daily Case Watch
• Daily Name Watch
• Daily Case Filings
• Daily Case Type
• The Searchable Civil Register allows attorneys to search all filings in the Los Angeles Court Civil Register using a variety of search criteria, including issues, judges, law firms, and parties involved. Containing data from 1997 to the present, the register includes information about general and limited jurisdiction civil cases from all districts (except cases filed in Van Nuys (general jurisdiction) before January 8, 2001). For example, information about how a judge rules on challenges, demurrers, and motions can be found as well as that judge’s number of trial days.
Experts and consultants.
• Attorneys can find trial-experienced witnesses in hundreds of different and difficult-to-find subject areas at expert4law.org—The Legal Marketplace. The Web site can be searched by name, subject area, company, or keyword. And if you’re looking for alternative dispute services, expert4law.org also provides a list of arbitrators and mediators.
Preparation for court.
• LACBA provides members with automated California Judicial Council Smart Forms free of charge from LexisNexis. These forms are useful at all stages of case management, especially during trial preparation. And, in conjunction with Hot Docs, made available at no cost to LACBA members, you can fill out the forms online and save them for future use or editing.
• Solid preparation also includes researching the judge’s past rulings and courtroom etiquette. Judge in a Flash (JIF) and Judicial Profiles excel in helping attorneys get to know their judges. Or if you are choosing between judges or deciding whether to file a 170.6 motion at the start of a case, JIF allows you to compare judges on critical court management data.
• The Appellate Tips deliver in-depth explanations to your computer for when, how, and under what circumstances an appeal should be launched and pursued.
LACBA’s products and services deliver an efficient means to increase your competitive edge in any practice area—a key element for success. LACBA will present these products at SOLOCON 2010 on June 18, 2010, and at LegalTech (Booth 147) on June 23 and 24, 2010.